Random Thoughts again...

What bandwagon....I am still not on the North Branch/Brown City bandwagon. Why? Well Cass City really jaded me last year. The Redhawks started 5-0 and did not make the playoffs after losing their last four games. North Branch may change my mind this Friday by getting big conference win when they travel to Essexville-Garber. If the Broncos pull off the road victory, then I am officially on their bandwagon. The Green Devils are another story. They should easily be 5-0 (Harbor Beach and Mayville) heading into their game with Sandusky in Week #6. This is where is gets tricky for Brown City. After Sandusky, they play Ulby, Marlette, and Memphis. They might need a victory versus Memphis in Week #9 to make the playoffs, but Memphis will not be a pushover. I will be on the Brown City bandwagon when they make the playoffs.

Rough Starts....Jason Beagle (USA), Lane Walker (Kingston), and Tim VanWormer (Frankenmuth) were all looking for their first career victory as a head coach following two weeks of the season. VanWormer finally got on the books this past week against Caro, but Beagle and Walker are still looking. The Patriots may sneak up on somebody this year and win a game or two, but they are struggling, being outscored by and 18.3 average per game. Kington may not win a game this year. They are really struggling being outscored by almost 39 points per game. Out of the three coaches, Beagle may have the easier job turning the program around into his own because he is not taking over for a school legend like Walker and VanWormer.

Tweaked....I have tweaked my Power Poll for next week. I have been trying to think of a way to get a point differential into the poll. Well I finally have. After getting a teams power average, the computer calculates the teams point differential per game and multiplies it by 10%. That figure is then added to the power average. After taking a look at what this past week's poll looks like under the new numbers, I beleive the poll will be very, very good.

TSA Top 10....I posted the Thumb Sports Writers Association's Top 10 football poll earlier this week. At this point of the seaon, I think a legimate argument can be made for the top three teams (Ubly, Millington, North Branch) to be the number one team. What I do not think is a legimate argument is: just because a team was number one last year, they should be number one this year. Teams change, personnel change, and it is a different year. Ubly had an excellent year last year and that is where is should stop. From all accounts, the Bearcats have another very good team, but it is this year's team. The 2009 Bearcats should not be held up the the 2008 team.

Comments

Chiuk Czlek said…
You haven't watched Ubly play this year...obviously. Those guys in Huron County aren't basing their judgments on because of what they did last year. Ubly is scary good in 2009 despite the loss of three all-staters. You can't replace a Jorden Kaufman like you can't replace a Jordan Bitzer or Matt Hoard, but you can actually put a team on the field that overall can be as good or even better. See you in Vassar...Oct.2
"They left last year as the best team in the Thumb, and until they lose a game, or something drastically changes, I think that they deserve to be considered as one of the best in the area." from the HDT Blog

no this was not from a Huron County guy, I have just heard this statement from a few too many people. Like I said, they may be the best in the Thumb, but that deserves to be on what they have done this year and not last year.
ChadWingert said…
I will chime in now..... If I may.

#1 - I agree with you on Brown City and North Branch Christian. They still have yet to play the thick of their schedule. Yes, Deckerville was a great win for Brown City and beating Frankenmuth was a good win for North Branch. But I think nothing but time, will prove what these teams are capable of.

#2 - I'll admit, I jumped the gun on giving Ubly a first place vote in the TSA Poll. However, they made me a believer after watching them in Marlette last week. This Ubly team is for real. Things will get interesting this week as I go watch Millington for the first time and I must say, I'm excited to see what Coach Furno and the Cards are bringing to the table this season.
I know I may be backtracking and eating my words a bit here, but your right. This poll should be based on this years accomplishments, not last years.
ChadWingert said…
- Also, if I can leave a shameless plug....... I am starting to blog again over at tuscolatoday.com. Once a week you can read my thoughts and opinions on the local as well as statewide sports scene.
Chiuk Czlek said…
Thanks guys,

Just clearing the air. Really I need to watch Millington play this year. Birch Run and Caro games are out...Ubly vs Brown City and Deckerville those weeks.

Garber...Sept.25...where is that game being played?
Bryan Bassett said…
Chuck the game is at Garber.

Popular posts from this blog

All-Conference teams announced

Still talkin' football

The Big Game.