Back in the saddle

Back from Florida...I spent the last week at my brothers in Florida, and the weather was great!! Everyday was near 80 with a slight breeze. My plane landed in Flint last night around six and the landing was a total nightmare. I spent last night trying to catch up on the goings on around the area from the last week and I feel like I'm almost there.

Something stinks in Sebewaing...I was surprised to hear the news about USA varsity girls basketball coach Josh Brinkman, who, according to the TCA, is under investigation facing allegations that he videotaped female students, including members of the USA girls varsity basketball team, as they changed clothes in his home on Sunday, January 14.
According to reports, the girls discovered the video camera, took the video and gave it to police.
I don't want to jump to conclusions, because as of right now, Brinkman has not been charged with anything, but there must be something to this story, because the story would not have been leaked to the press by the superintendent of USA school's had there not been some sort of substance to the story.
I interviewed Brinkman numerous times in the fall during the hoops season, and no, I'm not going to say anything about the allegations being foreseeable just because of some sort of vibe he may or may not have had about him. I thought he seemed like a nice guy, at least by the impression he made, and the allegations he faces right now are surprising, but not shocking.
Unfortunately, in today's society, we live in a world where you just don't know with total certainty what people are actually like. You may know someone for years, and then discover something about that person that brings you to the understanding that you never really knew them at all.
If the allegations are true, than all that can be said is that this young man has serious issues that need to be addressed, most likely through some sort of criminal charges.
There are too many questions regarding the whole issue (such as why were these young ladies at his house to begin with?) to say a whole lot about this. Let's just hope something happens, because as the father of two young girls, the thought of someone who would do something like this makes me sick.
All the more reason why I am a strong proponent of the idea that girls sports teams need to be led by women coaches.

Cass City where art thou? Talk about a letdown. After pulling off the biggest win of the year in their defeat of USA, the Hawks lost last Friday night to Reese, 64-39. Which brings me to this question...is the GTW really such a great conference this year where the teams are so evenly matched that they are capable of beating each other on any given night? Or, is the GTW having a bad year? Some coaches have specualted to me and others that the league is weak this year and that there is no one team that will dominate the league like USA has in the past.
I tend to agree with the coaches. I have seen quite a few teams in the conference already this year, and I will get to see Reese for the first time tonight, and what I see are a bunch of pretty good teams with decent talent. What the GTW has going for it are the quality coaches like Gainforth, Fernald and Casler who seem to get the best out of their teams on a consistent basis. And some times, that makes up for the lack of talent.

Eagles on the move...Frankenmuth took two last week, beating Birch Run 61-57 on Tuesday and dropping a 72-55 beating on Millington on Friday. With the wins, the Eagles have kept themselves on a path where with a win over Bridgeport, the boys of little Bavaria could still claim a piece of the TVE title.
This is not surprising...'Muth is a good team with a great shooter in Brad Redford. I hope the Eagles pull this one off.

What a shocker...Kingston is halfway home to another unimpressive 20-0 season. What a shame that when time comes to vote for All-Thumb, the Cards will 20 wins against what I see as 19 inferior opponents (I'm giving Ubly some credit here). I hear Cros-Lex is making some noise out east. That's good, because after seeing all the teams here, no one has me convinced that the successor to USA plays ball in Tuscola county.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All-Conference teams announced

Still talkin' football

The Big Game.