I guess I was wrong.

Football - Boy was I way off about the North Branch-Powers game last night. Powers had too much speed for the Branchers...Laval Lucas-Perry was too fast of a runner for anyone on the field to contain...and Ronnie Lark is one helluva athlete, as all three factors came together and contributed to a 33-18 Powers victory last night.

I predicted yesterday that I thought Powers was capable of putting up some points on North Branch; I said that the Chargers would score 28, which wasn't too far off from the 33 that they tacked on last night. Unfortunately, the Bronco offense decided not to show up. I predicted 41 for NB---Wow was I wrong!

North Branch moved the ball real well between the 20's, and I don't know what the final stats say, but I'd be willing to bet that NB dominated in time of possession; that didn't matter, as Powers first half scores were all the result of big plays. Lucas-Perry busted one from 85-yards on the Chargers first play from scrimmage...Lark broke free for a 72-yard run on the next series, tossing a TD two plays later...the kickoff after NB's first score was returned 55-yards by Powers...Lucas-Perry ran for a 27-yard TD two plays later...all the while, the Bronco defenders looked lost.

This was NB's first-ever trip to the playoffs, so the players, coaches, and fans all deserve praise for the grace and humility they displayed during the trophy presentation. Powers had done all this before...14 trips to the playoffs...2005 D4 state champs...their school's trophy case is lined with District trophies similar to the one they took home last night. But NB...this was their first ever trip. After a while, these teams that make the trip every year start to come off as jaded, as if they are just unable to appreciate anymore the amount of hard work it takes to get to this point. It was refreshing to see a team like North Branch, so I tip my hat to coach Eric Hyde and his staff on an excellent season.

Week two and nothing to do - After two weeks of the High School playoffs, all five of the Tuscola County area teams are done. We went 0-4 in the first week, and with NB losing yesterday, we are officially done with football in the Tuscola County area. It was a good season, with a few surprises and a few upsets. I'm already looking forward to next season. I guess it's time to turn all of our attention to the girls.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All-Conference teams announced

Still talkin' football

The Big Game.