I'm still standing...and there's a new HR king!!


Alumni game update. Millington used their entire offense to dominate the Second Annual Alumni Game vs. Vassar, as quarterback Dave Inman (2003) tossed three touchdown passes in a 42-18 win over Vassar last Friday night.
The Cardinal running game was tough, as it was sparked up front by the presence of four All-Staters on the O-line, led by two time All-State center Gary Shreeve (1985).
On a personal note, I played pretty well considering I had not participated in a full contact, full pad football game since November of 1991, when my Cardinal team was eliminated in the state regional finals by eventual state champ Monroe St. Mary Catholic Central, by a score of 9-7.
I finally went in the game on Millington's second series, carried out a play fake and pass blocked on another play (I went in at tailback, the only position I played in high school and it's just too late in life to learn how to play anyplace else).
I finally got the call on the first play of the second quarter; I took the hand off on an off-tackle run, followed the fullback around the end, used a block by the receiver and scooted inside of that for a nice 12-yard gain, before I was tripped up by a safety.
After that, I made a nice block on a touchdown pass, and decided to stay in on the two-point conversion attempt.
That was a mistake!
Vassar blitzed nearly everyone on the line, and I was taking a hit before I even took the handoff.
One Vulcan defender grabbed my leg, three others fell on my back, jamming my foot into the ground.
After that, I was done for the rest of the night.
I went to the doctor on Monday and I have a lateral ankle sprain, which caused me to miss my softball games on Monday night.
Oh well...the alumni game was fun and I'd do it all over again. Can't wait until next year!!

16 days to go. Just two and a half more weeks until the most glorious day of the year...the start of the 2007 high school football season!
Jon and I have been busy putting together schedules, figuring out where we are going to be on the first night of the season...and basically just looking forward to the whole thing.
I was curious as to what, if any, stories in the area are the most interesting to any of the readers out there?
There are plenty of intriguing stories for the upcoming season...Al Boydston is back in the saddle for Caro...a new coach (Jason Kiss) for Vassar...Millington's Tim Furno closes in on 200 career wins...the odd coaching situation in North Branch...a new AD taking over in Reese...can USA make it back to the playoffs?...will Cass City finally turn the corner?...can anyone in the NCTL beat Kingston this year?...Blankenship's second year back, and the town wants him back in the playoffs---that's just a few of the stories that are going on around here.
If there are any questions, I'll try my best to answer them!

Long live the King. I stayed up last night to watch the new home run king Barry Bonds ascend to his long-awaited throne.
I said just about all I have to say on this issue in an article I wrote last month (in case anyone missed it, I can put it on here this week) but this whole 'did he or didn't he' drama just won't go away.
Why is it that the only people who seem truly offended by what Bonds supposedly did are the sportswriters of the world?
John Kruk said it best on Baseball Tonight last night...he said, hands down, that Barry Bonds is the best ball player he has ever seen or ever played against.
Throw away the asterisk..it didn't work with Roger Maris and it won't work now.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Gotta be Furno. The guy's a legend.
Andrew Selich said…
Yeah, Furno's the man...interesting to see this year how the offense will change, if any, with new O-Coordinator Roger Bearss running the show.
Anonymous said…
I don't think he'll change it much. Roger was brought up through the Cards system. He, you, Furno and whole host of Millington alumni know how well it works. Why try to re-invent the wheel?
Andrew Selich said…
True, but will Furno breath down Roger's neck every time a play doesn't work the way Furno wants it to.
Anonymous said…
Nice picture Andy. Same jersey and waist size as your senior season?
Andrew Selich said…
the jersey is the same, but the waist size is not!
Anonymous said…
HOW ABOUT A AN ALUMUNI REMATCH WITH MONROE ST MARY CATHOLIC? I WOULD LOVE TO PLAY THOSE GUYS AGAIN. DAVID CICHORACKI...UNIVERSITY OF
NEBRASKA ALUM. WE COULD INSTALL SOME OF THE NEBRASKA PLAYBOOK TO CHANGE THINGS UP A BIT.

Popular posts from this blog

All-Conference teams announced

The Big Game.

Still talkin' football