The 'Other' Big Game

Sugar Bowl XIV. Friday's matchup between USA and Reese is the 14th Annual Sugar Bowl, with more at stake this year because if the Patriots pull off the upset, they also get a share of the GTW title. Reese, who has already clinched at least a share of the title, would like nothing more than to deny the 'Pats a share by not only winning the game but by really sticking to the Pats. A USA loss would mean that it would be do-or die for USA in their last game of the season. They would need to win against Pinconning in order to make the playoffs, which was also the case a year ago when the Spartans denied USA the win and thus kept from the extra round.
A good rivalry. There is a mutual respect between these two schools that makes this a good rivalry. Even though USA has dominated the Sugar Bowl ( 9 wins to 4 for Reese) the overall record in this series is something like 21-17 in favor of the Patriots. When you talk to both of the coaches from these schools, you can tell that a respect exists for each others programs, which I think has a bearing on the players and the fans. When USA won the state title in both 1998 and 2004, I'm sure Reese players and fans were right there along with the Patriot faithful, cheering for their neighbors from the north to win the championship.
Rivalry bleeds through to other sports. In the spring, I was covering the USA-Reese softball District title game, and it was one of the best played games I saw all season. You could tell that no one wanted to lose this game, especially since the winner was going to be their main rival...that's great, when the rivalry transcends beyond football and becomes about the two schools competing against each other in more than just football.
I'm partial to Reese. After my senior year of high school at Millington, no one from my varsity baseball team was interested in continuing playing ball during the summer. I wanted to keep playing ball, but no Millington team was being formed. Through a friend, I eventually found a spot on the Reese baseball team that was playing in the Stan Musial League in Saginaw. For more than 20 games, I wore the varsity baseball uniform of the Reese Rockets, complete with pants, stirrups and hats. It was a great time, and I made friends with some great people who I remain in contact with to this day. One friend of mine from the team, Eugene Alex, was killed a little more than a year while fighting for his country in Iraq. I've always felt a special kinship with Reese, because they were so willing to accept me on the team and allow to play for them that summer in 1992.
With that in mind....here's my pick for Friday......
REESE 42, USA 14

Comments get testy.
Hey, I appreciate the comments that everyone took the time to post on my last post, and I would like welcome the new posters. I would also like to encourage all who read this blog to post a comment, let me know you are out there. Leave a comment, voice an opinion...but by all means lets keep it cordial and clean. Be respectful of others opinions. If you disagree with what I say or with what someone else says....by all means, voice a rebuttal. But keep it respectful. This blog encourages an open forum and encourages opinions from all dissenters. But if you take that view, be ready for someone to disagree.

Comments

Jon Sicotte said…
Guess you didn't make an inflamatory statements, 'Drew...

I think USA will show up for this game toinght. I am hoping to see a lot of familiar faces on both sides. Maybe Christian and I can have a little "Sugar Bowl forum" with former players at the half on 92.1. I know Corbin will be up there since he is helping his dad as a spotter. Maybe we can grab a few USA formers from any sport and have a little halftime talk on the air with them.
Jon Sicotte said…
Reese showed who's boss...a fine game for them.

Popular posts from this blog

All-Conference teams announced

Still talkin' football

The Big Game.