week six is upon us

Week six thoughts. Here it is....as unbelievable as it might seem, week six of the high school football season is upon us. So far, it's been a great season. Here is the Advertiser's Top Ten list after six weeks of play, as voted on by four area coaches and the TCA sports staff:
1. Millington 54 (3)
2. Reese 51 (2)
3. Frankenmuth 51 (1)
4. Harbor Beach 48
5. Garber 27
6. Deckerville 22
T7. Peck 20
T7. North Huron 20
9. USA 11
10. Ubly 10
Others: Birch Run 9, North Branch 2, Marlette 1, Bad Axe 1, Cass City 1

This might be the first poll that we've released that I finally agree with. I still don't think Peck or North Huron could play even with USA, Ubly, Birch Run or Marlette, but that's my opinion. I will say this...I have seen both Reese and Millington play this year, and without a doubt in my mind, Millington is the best team I have seen this year. They are the best team I have seen in maybe ten years or so. Thay can play any game the defense makes them play...they can run the ball, they can run the option, they can pass, they can run the shotgun....they have so much speed and talent that it's scary.
I can't wait until October 12...if everything works out, and Millington and Frankenmuth win their next two games, then both teams will be 7-0 at that point with the TVC-E title on the line. Anyone out there remember the last time that happened in this series? I do and I'll have more on that one as the season wears on.

USA saves season. With a 34-14 win over Cass City Friday night, coach Gary VanSumeren and his team may have not only won an important GTW game, they just might have saved their season as well.
The Patriots only have one loss in the GTW, and they need to win out to keep pace with Reese. I'll be at the USA-Bad Axe game this Friday night, and the Pats need a win. Imagine this scenario....USA and Reese both win the next two weeks...On Ocotber 12, we might have not only undefeateds in Millington and Frankenmuth battling it out for the TVC-E title but we could also have unbeaten Reese and USA fighting it out in the Sugar Bowl for the GTW crown. That's just the way it should always be.

Comments

Jon Sicotte said…
The North Branch vote struck me as odd...thought maybe they meant North Huron...but they had them in the poll higher...so who knows.
I am really looking forward to seeing Reese this Friday night. I am also wondering if they are going to take a page from USA's playbook and put the ball in the air. USA crafteda a wonderful game plan against Cass City and really put the beat down to them. I am hoping Cass City figures out how to play defense (allowing 31 pts/g) in a hurry or this Friday night will turn into a route. After seeing USA last week, the Sugar Bowl is looking sweeter.

Popular posts from this blog

All-Conference teams announced

Still talkin' football

The Big Game.