Monday's stink

Here we are...another week down and we inch closer to the end of the winter sports season. I for one am looking forward to it.

It's the most wonderful time of the year. Pitchers and catchers reported for the Tigers last Thursday and I believe that the rest of the supporting cast join them tomorrow.
It doesn't seem like that long ago that the Tigers were generating buzz by making the World Series last fall, but since it has been extremely cold since then, all the days kind of blend in together, so a week really only feels like a day or two when its cold (if that makes any sense).
But with the Tigers reporting to Lakeland, it just means that spring is right around the corner and with it, warmer temperatures and bright blue skies and the return of the sun. It also means that softball is almost here.

Kingston--paper champions. I don't care what anyone says...Kingston's basketball team will not make it out of the regionals. They waste their whole season playing what basically equates to nothing more than junior varsity type rosters because of the lack of any talent in the NCTL, and then they feel good about the fact because they win another league title.
I don't believe I've ever seen a league as weak from second to bottom as the NCTL, and the fact that Kingston continues to linger in this league can only be detrimental to the entire Kingston team.
These kids are never pushed to really find out how good they are. I believe that a man can find out more about himself by getting his butt kicked every once in a while than by constantly being the bully on the block who steals everyone lunch and then kicks sand in his face. No one in the NCTL has the talent to stand up to Kingston. I think that it's time Kingston moves on and finds a new home...because it's not as if this is a recent phenomenon. Just go to their school and look a the banners hung in the gym. It seems like they have won every league title in every sport in the league for the past 20 years, yet what do they have to show for it when it comes playoff time?
Genesse Christian plays tough every year. This year, their non-conference opponents included both Flint SWA and Beecher, both of whom are tough as nails. Genesee Christian lost both games, but come playoff time we'll see whose regular season better prepared them for a long run in the playoffs.

Title time. Wednesday night, I'll be at the North Branch-Frankenmuth volleyball game. Both teams are 6-0 in the TVE and this match has become a winner-take-all for the title because no one else in the TVE has less than two losses in the league.
North Branch has an amazing 63-1-1 record, has won 27 straight matches with another 33 straight victories to start the season. The Broncos have participated in nine tournaments this season, with the latest being the Northwood University Invitational this past Saturday.
The Broncos are ranked no.2 in Class A and have one of the best players in the state, senior Sam Fish, who is up for Miss Volleyball.
Frankenmuth counters with a 36-7-3 record of their own and were the champions of the St. Louis Invitational this past Saturday.
I can't believe I'm actually going to say this, but I'm kind of looking forward to this one.

Wasted days and wasted nights. Tomorrow night I'm going to the Owen-Gage-Akron-Fairgrove basketball game. I'm going to talk to coach Leon Westover about what steps he's taking to make sure a repeat of last Friday never happens again. Should be interesting.

Comments

ThumbCoach said…
Andrew,

I have to strongly disagree with you on a few things. but first, i'll agree with you that the NCTL is weak this year. That is not Kingston's fault. We are blessed to be witnessing possibly the best team to ever play at Kingston. I agree that we have alot of banners recognizing our League Championships. Some of those teams like the 1990 & 1998 Cardinals also won Regional Championships in Boy's Basketball. My Varsity Girl's Basketball Team won a Regional Championship in 2003, before falling to Allen Park Cabrini 31-30 in the Quarterfinals. Our Varsity Football Team has made two trips to the State Semi-Finals. Our Softball Team has also made a Trip to the Sem-Finals and lost in the State Championship game in 1997. We've accomplished this by playing in the NCTL. The NCTL is not always as weak as it appears to be this year. If your going to rip our league, then you better take a serious look at the GTW, GTE and for that sake the Tr-Valley East. These conferences aren't exactly catching my attention as being world beaters. I'm pretty confident that regardless of conference, Kingston is the best team in the Thumb, period. Our Coaching Staff, players and community would love the opportunity to play better competition. But it's too bad the NCTL has handcuffed us, by making us play 18 league games. I love coaching Varsity Basketball at Kingston and I LOVE KINGSTON SPORTS, but this is garbage playing 18 NCTL games. But because of my love of coaching and trying to build a good program, i prepare my kids for the 18 league games we have. I think credit has to go to Coach Mike Rea for getting his guys ready for this season. They went to two team camps, and next week will scrimmage North Branch & Flint Hamady in preparation for the MHSAA Tournament the following week. I enjoy working with you in the fall, but i will admit you had my blood pressure going last night and this isn't even a team i coach, but because i'm a Cardinal, it got me going !!!!! Keep up the good work and i'll continue checking your blog !! GO KINGSTON.. Maybe we can make a wager on your doubts.. A free dinner sounds good to me !!!
Andrew Selich said…
I'll give you that...the scheduling in the NCTL makes no sense to me. Why bother having a North and South division with two separate champs, yet make everyone play each other twice? Kingston would be better off playing everyone in the South twice, everyone in the North just once, that way they could schedule a few non-conference games that could challenge their ability. Imagine a Kingston-Reese matchup, or Kingston-USA...these games would benefit both parties, not just Kingston.
The NCTL is traditionally a weak basketball conference, except for Kingston. Every year I hear the same old tales from Kingston folk. "We're losing a lot, it's going to be a year of rebuilding." Yet, every year Kingston seems to win every league title the NCTL offers.
I'll agree with you again that the other conferences in our coverage area are down this year, but ask me if I think Kingston could win the Tri-Valley East this year and I will answer you with an emphatic NO!
Frankenmuth, Birch Run and Bridgeport could all hand Kingston a loss.
Ask me if I think they are the best team in the Thumb and I'll answer with an emphatic YES!
Will they advance very far in the playoffs?
No.
Tell you what though, I admire your loyalty (if anyone talks bad about Millington football...it gets my blodd going too) so I'll make you this wager...
If Kingston wins a regional title in basketball this year, beers and burgers at the Kingston Times are on me.

Popular posts from this blog

All-Conference teams announced

Still talkin' football

The Big Game.